Worx Training Center News
Fall Classes (Session 6)
Intermediate Shortform Only
Longform Improvisation Classes
will return in January 2017
(Don't leaf us out of your schedule)
Change your life with some improv training. The place to begin is our Intro-to-Improv class which is our entry level (and mandatory) class for both the short- and longform programs. The next class in the program would then be an intermediate short- or our longform intensive class followed by an advanced short- or longform class. This final 2016 session we are offering an Intermediate shortform class for our current students. Check this site for updates on our other classes in early January 2017
Intro-to-Improv- This class provides the basic skills necessary for short- or longform improv: you will learn exercises to build energy, establish focus,and get everyone in the group on the same page. There are six classes consisting of one day a week for six consecutive weeks. We will be offering two classes in January 2017.
More information on Intro-to-Improv
- Intermediate Shortform - The Intermediate Shortform class is for those students that have learned the basics of improv and are ready to put them into action. The goal of this course is to introduce the students to the nature of shortform improv, learn the structure of a show, why we do the things we do, and most importantly how to turn on the charm when on stage. You will learn improv "games" typically included in a ComedyWorx(TM) show. All this leads to an end-of-course performance in front of family and friends. We are offering one class: beginning Wednesday October 26th (7 to 10 p.m.). There are six classes consisting of one day a week for six consecutive weeks.
Instructor: Michael Teague
Class begins: Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2016 SOLD OUT
More information on Intermediate Shortform
- Advanced Shortform- This class provides the advanced skills necessary for participating in shortform improv performances. You will learn games and specific elements of the ComedyWorx(TM). This class includes two opportunites to perform in shows at the
Worx.This class is scheduled privately in collaboration with Intermediate Shortform graduates.
More information on Advanced Shortform
- Longform - INTENSIVE(Fee: $200) - This class focuses on scenework skills in a longform show. It will prepare you directly for the advanced longform class (which conclude with actual performances with a coach in front of a paid audience). In eight weeks Ashley and Philip will provide specific, individualized training to help you better listen to offers, react, use physicality, and engage emotionally with a strong point of view. The class will cover:
||Agreement & Patterns
||Two Person Scenes: Playing it Real and
Playing it Crazy
|| Characters and Emotion
||Physicality and Scene Reality
||Armando Practice and Putting it All Together
At the end of the eight weeks, students will be put into teams and will perform a student show at an Improv Mixer.
- Longform - ADVANCED(Fee: $200) - Students in the Advanced Longform class will develop more techniques to sharpen their scenework skills, explore six different longform openings, and learn the basics of four longform formats - the La Ronde, Thread, Sliding Doors, and The Harold. The class will cover:
Week 1: Learning to say "No"/ Scene paint/Character paint/ The Thread
Week 2: Playing with status/"Losing to win"/Duologues/La Ronde
Week 3: Straight man-comedic foil/Monologs & Rants/ Thread
Week 4: Mapping scenes/ Organic/ Sliding Doors
Week 5: Using silence and breaking the stage/Organic/Sliding Doors
Week 6: Game of the Scene & Making It Worse /The Invocation/Sliding Doors
Week 7: Performance preparation
Week 8: Performance preparation
Student teams will be formed for the performance class from the graduates of the Advanced class.
Instructor: Brian Dukes
(Sundays 6 to 9 p.m.)
Class begins: Not currently scheduled
Prerequisites: Longform INTENSIVE
- Longform - PERFORMANCE (FREE) -
This class consists of four performance opportunities in our regularly scheduled longform shows (e.g., The Yes Yard(TM) or The Mixer). The student teams from the intensive class with have four performance opportunities which will be scheduled over 4 consecutive months. Practice with a coach prior to the performances will be arranged by the Worx.
More Information on Longform ADVANCED
Class limited to Longform ADVANCED Graduates Only
Space is limited for these classes, so please sign up soon. You can contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or simply Register Now.
of the WTC Longform Program
Graduates of the Worx Training Center longform improvisation program. Front Row: Dan Sipp, Jenny Spencer, Suzanne MacDonough & Cary LaMay.Back Row: Ronnie Ansley, Chris Spencer, Dawn Gum, Cassiana Gudgenov & Greg Vydra.
The Musical Improv workshop led by Greg Hohn of Transactors and area recording artist Mark Lewis was a phenomenal learning experience and good time for all. If you missed it drop us an email and we will keep you posted the next time we schedule it.
Improvising Story Attendees
Improvising Story with Director & actor Jay O'Berski. As promised it sharpened the attendees storytelling skill set. It was a fun three hours appreciated by everyone who attended. If you missed it this time drop us an email and we will keep you posted the next time we schedule it.