Worx Training Center News
Spring Classes (Session 3)
Intro, Intermediate & Longform
(This is blooming fun)
Change your life with some improv training. The place to begin is our Intro-to-Improv class which is our entry level class for both the short- and longform programs. The next class in the program would then be an intermediate short- or longform class followed by an advanced short- or longform class. This session we offer Two Intro-to-Improv, two Intermediate shortform & a Longform Intensive class. The following are the next classes being offered:
Intro-to-Improv- This class provides the basic skills necessary for short- or longform improv: you will learn exercises to build energy, establish focus,and get everyone in the group on the same page. There are six classes consisting of one day a week for six consecutive weeks. We are offering two classes: beginning Wednesday, May 11, 2016 or Saturday, March 14, 2016.
More information on Intro-to-Improv
- Intermediate Shortform - The Intermediate Shortform class is for those students that have learned the basics of improv and are ready to put them into action. The goal of this course is to introduce the students to the nature of shortform improv, learn the structure of a show, why we do the things we do, and most importantly how to turn on the charm when on stage. You will learn improv "games" typically included in a ComedyWorx(TM) show. All this leads to an end-of-course performance in front of family and friends. We are offering two classes: beginning Sunday May 8th (2 to 5 p.m.) and Monday May 9th (7 to 10 p.m.). There are six classes consisting of one day a week for six consecutive weeks.
More information on Intermediate Shortform
- Advanced Shortform- This class provides the advanced skills necessary for participating in shortform improv performances. You will learn games and specific elements of the ComedyWorx(TM). This class includes two opportunites to perform in shows at the
Worx.This class is scheduled privately in collaboration with Intermediate Shortform graduates.
More information on Advanced Shortform
- Longform - INTENSIVE(Fee: $200) - Our philosophy is simple -give you the concepts and tools and let you learn (with a coach) by performing. We believe the best way to learn is by doing and we provide the environment for you to do so. Our progam avoids the redundancy and dragging out the information over an extended period of time. This class is designed to prepare you directly for the advanced longform class (which is actual performances with a coach in front of a paid audience). In EIGHT (8)weeks we will teach you the basics, provide some practice, and all you need to know to get started with longform improvisation. The class will cover:
Week 1: Agreement and Patterns
Week 2: Group Mind and Teamwork
Week 3: Characters and Emotion
Week 4: Characters and Space/Object Work
Week 5: Group Work
Week 6: Forms and Show Structure
Week 7: Picking a Form
Week 8: Putting it all together
Student teams will preform in one show at the conclusion of class.
- Longform - ADVANCED(Fee: $200) - Students in the Advanced Longform class will develop more techniques to sharpen their scenework skills, explore six different longform openings, and learn the basics of four longform formats - the La Ronde, Thread, Sliding Doors, and The Harold. The class will cover:
Week 1: Super agreement/Scene paint/Character paint/La Ronde
Week 2: Playing with status/"Losing to win"/Duologues/La Ronde
Week 3: Straight man-comedic foil/Monologs & Rants/ Thread
Week 4: Learning to say "No"/Living Room/Thread
Week 5: Using silence and breaking the stage/Organic/Sliding Doors
Week 6: Mapping scenes/The Invocation/Sliding Doors
Week 7: Game of the scene/Team choice/The Harold
Week 8: Making it worse/Team choice/The Harold
Student teams will be formed for the performance class from the graduates .
Instructor: Brian Dukes
(Sundays 6 to 9 p.m.)
Class begins: Sunday, May 8, 2016 Register Now
Prerequisites: Longform INTENSIVE
- Longform - PERFORMANCE (Fee: $100) -
This class consists of four performance opportunities in our regularly scheduled longform shows (e.g., The Yes Yard(TM) or The Mixer). The student teams from the intensive class with have four performance opportunities which will be scheduled over 4 consecutive months. Practice with a coach prior to the performances will be arranged by the Worx.
More Information on Longform ADVANCED
Class limited to Longform INTENSIVE Graduates Only
Space is limited for these classes, so please sign up soon. You can contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or simply Register Now.
of the WTC Longform Program
Graduates of the Worx Training Center longform improvisation program. Front Row: Dan Sipp, Jenny Spencer, Suzanne MacDonough & Cary LaMay.Back Row: Ronnie Ansley, Chris Spencer, Dawn Gum, Cassiana Gudgenov & Greg Vydra.
The Musical Improv workshop led by Greg Hohn of Transactors and area recording artist Mark Lewis was a phenomenal learning experience and good time for all. If you missed it drop us an email and we will keep you posted the next time we schedule it.
Improvising Story Attendees
Improvising Story with Director & actor Jay O'Berski. As promised it sharpened the attendees storytelling skill set. It was a fun three hours appreciated by everyone who attended. If you missed it this time drop us an email and we will keep you posted the next time we schedule it.